Large selection of resources
browse across a range of subjects
Free shareable & open access
available to staff and students
A peer reviewed study skills site
superb support network in the HE sector
Source Top Trumps
This post was originally added to Learnhigher on: 7th Feb, 2019
Activity time: 15 minutes
Types of media: Handout/s, Interactive learning object
• Identify good academic sources
• Describe pros and cons of different reading materials
• Create improved reference lists / in-text citations
Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0
(This resource can be freely repurposed and reused)
This information/resource was last updated in February 2019.
About this resource
Share this resource
This activity is useful for introducing Level 4 students to different reading materials at university, and the need to read credible and reliable sources when researching. Source Top Trumps provided.
Specific resources needed for implementing this resource:
Source Top Trumps, Source Information Sheets
Contributor’s comments on the use of this resource:
Instructions for running the activity:
- Students read through the source Information sheets
- Students provide scores out of 5 for different characteristics (credibility, reliability,
bias, involvement in academic debate) of each source on the Source Top Trumps
- Students order Source Top Trumps from ‘best’ to ‘worst’
- To add an element of gamification, Step 3 can also be performed in a ‘battle’, as in the regular way of playing Top Trumps.
- Different information sheets may need to be created for different subjects and disciplines which may regard sources differently.
Looking to submit your own resource?
LearnHigher is a network for promoting and Learnhigher is a collaborative site offering effective peer
reviewed resources for university level study. To find out more on how to contribute a resource, follow the